Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Real Emos do Magic

There is something that has really been bothering me as of late. I've noticed on more than one occasion one or more of my magician friends getting seriously upset over a performance they did. They all go about it differently, but when it gets down to it, they all pout and claim that they did horribly, or that it just wasn't good enough.

I find myself wondering, just why exactly they think they did horribly? On the few occasions I've been present at these said 'horrible' performances I've noticed that, for the most part, the audience loved it. They would be completely wrapped up in the performance, loving every second of it, and yet, for some reason, my friends still believe they didn't do a great job. Most of my friends became magicians because they LOVE to entertain, and they loved to have the audience wrapped around their fingers. So why, when the audience is doing exactly that, are they still not satisfied?

When I asked my friends why they believe they did a bad job, or why it wasn't good enough, they all start naming off things that they messed up on, or things the audience didn't react to quite like they had hoped, things, that had they not pointed out, I would have never noticed. It's at these moments that I truly realize just how insane performers really are. Holding themselves to such ridiculous standards, and seriously believing that the only good show is one where they do everything right and the audience reacts just the way they expected them too. It's gotten to a point where they believe they aren't good performers because of these small little things.

Ok magicians; let’s take a step back with me here. Are you really so self absorbed that all you can see are these small little mess ups compared to the huge smiles of the people you perform for? Do you not remember that you got into magic to please an audience and to make an impression? SO WHAT if you mess up here and there, you're human, it's gunna happen, a lot! If it really bothers you then go practice, but do NOT let it get in the way of seeing that you are doing an amazing job. If you have your audience in awe and you have people telling you you’re amazing and that they loved the show, then give yourself a pat on the back! You've just done what you got into magic to do! YOU'RE A SUCCESS!

So to wrap this all up, Magicians, I love you, but pull your heads out of your asses, open your eyes, and stop being so hard on yourselves! Yes, work harder to get better, but don't destroy your self-esteem while doing so.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes everything can go right and you still don't like the show. Probably cuz' you weren't into it.

    Sometimes one or two things can go wrong, that you KNOW no one noticed and still call it a good show.

    Everyone one is allowed to have a fat girl day now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true and I completely agree, but it's when those fat girl moments start happening every show, that's when things start to bug me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want ice cream now... and a sappy movie.

    ReplyDelete